A lot of people that we see and make contact with day after day are being faced with gambling addiction. It could be quite difficult to detect, due to the fact that gamblers usually feel the need to make it secretive and hide their regrets in order to cover their shame.
Gambling is simply the act of wagering and betting. The addiction arises when a person persistently gambles regardless of the negative effect that it may have on their finances, relationship, character, attitude and well-being.
Gambling addiction has to do with a compulsive and obsessive need to bet, wager, or gamble with a little assurance of winning. Sometimes, the end result could be severely disastrous and devastating for the gambler and related persons such as family and friends. Due to the uncertainty, gamblers could keep losing with the hope of winning a jackpot in the future to cover their previous losses, which may not happen eventually.
The secrecy involved in the addiction makes it very difficult for the addict to recover, and it also induces other addictions such as drug, alcohol amongst others, if not duly controlled and corrected. These are the only preliminary effects of gambling addiction, as there are a lot of consequences still involved.
EFFECTS OF GAMBLING ADDICTION IN A SOCIETY
1. Gambling is a channel for making money for those who win, and for those who rarely win, it could affect their finances adversely, leading to bankruptcy in the long run if not checked
2. When gambling hits the brim, it can result to increased drug and alcohol abuse, which is very detrimental to a society.
3. Gambling is also capable of increasing the rate of theft, fraud and forgery cases in the society due to the compelling need for money.
4. For those who cannot steal, they will have to resort to selling off their properties and belongings to suit their unquenchable desire.
CONSEQUENCES OF GAMBLING ADDICTION
1. Financial crisis and bankruptcy is quite unavoidable. Gamblers will go to any length to make sure they have money to gamble even while they are losing.
2. Job loss is very common among gambling addicts. Addicts will most likely miss work in order to gamble and can also become distracted at work because of their stakes.
3. It also strains the relationship between family and friends
4. It also causes mental and physical health issues